Cincu is first mentioned in a document of 1329 as Schenck, a word connected to Schenke, meaning “tavern” in German. The village was founded in the mid-12th century by some 30 families of German settlers from the Rhineland. There were 64 families in 1488, 70 in 1532 and 344 in 1729. Some 215 individuals were settled there by the Hapsburg in 1753. In 1850, there were 2635 inhabitants.